A hummingbird nesting platform is an easy and fun way to attract these beautiful birds to your yard! You can buy a pre-made platform or build your own using a few simple materials. If you build your own, make sure the platform is sturdy and has a smooth surface for the birds to land on.
You can paint it any color you like, but avoid using bright colors that may scare the birds away. Add some fake leaves or branches around the platform to make it look more natural and inviting. Place the nesting platform in a shady spot near some flowers or other plants that hummingbirds like to feed on.
Now sit back and wait for the hummingbirds to find their new home!
- Purchase or gather the supplies needed to make the nesting platform. This includes a piece of wood that is at least 12 inches wide, a hand drill, dowel rods, wire mesh, and twine.
- Cut the piece of wood into two equal pieces that are each 12 inches long. These will be the sides of the nesting platform
- Drill four evenly spaced holes along one long edge of each piece of wood
- The holes should be big enough to fit the dowel rods through snugly
- Cut four dowel rods to be 6 inches long each. Insert them through the holes in the pieces of wood so that they stick out equally on both sides.
- Wrap wire mesh around the outside of the frame created by the dowels and pieces of wood
- Secure it in place with twine wrapped around tightly several times
- 6 Hang your hummingbird nesting platform in an area where you often see hummingbirds flying and feeding
How Do You Make a Hummingbird Nester?
A hummingbird nester can be made out of many materials, but the most popular is probably a gourd. You will need to cut a hole in the top and bottom of the gourd, with the top being slightly larger than the bottom.
Then, you will need to hollow out the inside of the gourd so that it is about an inch or two deep.
Once you have done this, you can then add some nesting material such as cotton or grass. The hummingbird will then build her nest on top of this material.
How High off the Ground Should a Hummingbird Nest Be?
A hummingbird’s nest is usually about 3-10 feet off the ground, but it can be as high as 20 feet (6.1 meters) in some cases. The average height is probably closer to 5-7 feet off the ground.
The female hummingbird will build the nest by herself using different materials like plant down, spider silk, and bits of leaves.
She will often build the nest on a branch near where she plans to feed so that she can easily keep an eye on her young.
Will Hummingbirds Nest in a Birdhouse?
Yes, hummingbirds will nest in a birdhouse, as long as the birdhouse is designed specifically for them. Hummingbirds are very small birds, so their houses must have minimal openings – no larger than 1 inch (2.54 centimeters) in diameter.
The house should also be placed in a location that is safe from predators and has plenty of flowers nearby for the parents to feed from.
Do Hummingbirds Use Hummingbird Houses?
No, hummingbirds do not use hummingbird houses. While these houses may attract other birds, such as sparrows or wrens, hummingbirds are not known to nest in them.
Instead, they build their nests in trees or shrubs, often using spider webs to bind the nest together.
If you’re hoping to attract hummingbirds to your yard, the best bet is to plant native flowers and provide a water source for them to drink from.
Hummingbird Nesting Platform
Hummingbird House Plans Free
If you’re looking for a fun and unique project to take on this summer, why not build a hummingbird house? Not only will it provide a safe place for these little birds to nest, but you’ll also get to enjoy watching them up close!
Building a hummingbird house is actually quite simple, and there are lots of free plans available online.
Just do a quick search, and you’ll find plenty of options to choose from. Once you’ve selected your plan, gather all the materials and tools you’ll need.
A few hours of work is all it takes to put together a beautiful hummingbird house that will last for years.
Here are just a few tips to get you started:
- Choose plants that feature an open front, so the birds can easily enter and exit their nest.
- Make sure the house is well-ventilated to keep the birds cool in the summer months.
- Place your hummingbird house in an area that gets plenty of sun during the day.
- Hang the house at least five feet off the ground to deter predators.
In order to make a hummingbird nesting platform, you will need the following materials: a small piece of wood (preferably cedar), a saw, wire, screws, and nails.
First, cut the piece of wood into two equal pieces using the saw. Then, take one of the pieces and nail it to the side of your house or any other structure where you would like the platform to be located. Make sure that the piece is level and secure before moving on.
Next, screw the wire around the perimeter of the remaining piece of wood. This will serve as a support for when the hummingbirds build their nests on top of it.
Finally, place this second piece of wood on top of the first one that is already nailed down, and voilà! You have now created a safe haven for these beautiful creatures to nest in.